Monday, July 24, 2006

Religion and Spirituality

Now at last the posts on narcismojoy can be finalised. It should be of no surprise that I am not a born n bred good Catholic boi. Religion is a definite interest of mine so I will post in more detail in time. I believe this era is the time every major religion is being challenged in its nature and existence.

My background is that of a mother brought up as Methodist yet no longer practicing and a father who was one of those who are Christian bible followers but not church goers and essentially made it up as he went along.

So I was a Christian of sorts until I grew up. Before I came out I had sorted my spirituality and am utterly at peace spiritually. It helped enormously as people said those ‘hell’ words for example because you see I don’t even believe in hell. It also helped me through the ground zero of my depression.

I am not a Christian. Nor am I a Muslim. Not a Buddhist nor a Jew. None of these.

So what am I?

First and foremost I take responsibility for my spirituality. I listen and question rather than use hard faith on what others say. I listen to logic and I listen to my heart and I am learning all the time and it’s this process that keeps me strong spiritually.

So what do I believe?

Well that’s a big question isn’t it? I take parts of what I’ve experienced. Here’s a simple example which others agree on too.

Wicca: Do as you will an it harm none
Christian: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

It basically means the same thing and it is one of my spiritual beliefs. I have many others of course but they can be revealed later. To help the categoricalists I could be described as a mesh of many religions particularly New Age and Humanist. It’s far too big a topic for a post.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Heh - sounds remarkably like my own viewpoints. Grew up with Methodist raised Mom and Presbyterian raised Dad, went to church regularly until teens, when Mom's illness kept her from attending - at which point we all kind of went our own ways. Stuck with the same chuch through high school, because my youth group was fun and engaging, then fell away.

Now I have a spirituality with no connection to specific religious activities or dogma. As I may have mentioned before, little Sis is gay, and has found her attempts to stay engaged in most churches to be a challenge at best. She went to one church for a while, until they brought in a new pastor who breached hellfire and etc. and drove her out.