Sunday, July 30, 2006

Positive Music

Music is about feeling and thought if it can’t invoke anything it’s rubbish/noise to me. Recently it occurred to me that the music I listen to is often negative. Which is to say it invokes negative emotion or thought.

This got me thinking about it’s possible effect on my depression. It seems to me the emotional sway (positive or negative) after listening to music is lowered but it is still there. Depression is not as simple as a lowered set of emotions but it is heavily related.

So I decided to experiment with the idea of reducing negative music and bringing in some positive music to play.

In primary schooling our teacher did show the positive effect of raising pitch and the negative effect of lowering pitch. But of course that’s simplistic and I know there’s going to be a lot more to it. As well there are the lyrics and the singing if present.

Focusing on the music I usually play there’s some joy there like Maynard Ferguson’s Sesame Street (I told you I was weird) and some nastier stuff like Melayne Web’s Mine. On praying to the Goog of All I came up with these;

Dovesong

With all the vibes of born again Christianity this site still has something going for it. He’s a musician so might actually be on to something (his view is about chords and ‘duochords’ being the definition of positive and negative music). Not only that, you can actually download some music to listen to and it’s non mainstream stuff.

Reinventing Myself

In your face New Age site with a nice long list of songs they consider positive.

Pop Culture Madness

Some positive pop songs

So now hopefully I can listen to music with lifts me up and we’ll see how it goes. If you have any suggestions feel free to comment.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I absolutely love the music of Alison Krauss and Union Station. Kind of Blue Grass / Country, which may not be your fav. Give it a try, though - her voice is wonderful and the sound is always easy to listen to.
Their album "Lonely Runs Both Ways" is my personal fav. (That site link to Amazon has listen live sample links.)

Trias said...

Cool thanks for that.